Introduction
Grave(s) ~ First Generation
The 's' was added between 1851 and 1861

1.  

William GRAVE
Possibly born c1756 (see below). No suitable baptism has been found in Torpenhow or Allhallows parish records or in FamilySearch.

Marr 7 Dec 1777 at Dean, Cumberland, England to Sarah HEAD (ref IGI). She was probably born c1753 (see below). There are two possible baptisms in FamilySearch - 24 Feb 1753, dau of Robert Head, and 31 Aug 1754, dau of Jeremiah Head.

All the baptisms are definite except Catherine and William. William (jnr) was said to be born about 1785 at Baggrow or Blennerhasset (within the parish of Allhallows). It would be normal to call the first boy William. There may have been other children in the period 1777 to 1785 but these have not been found. It may have been that William owned the quarry at Baggrow referred to in a later generation.

Sarah is the first child of this couple who is listed as baptised as Allhallows even though the register does exist - perhaps some earlier siblings were born in another place, but these have not been found on FamilySearch or elsewhere. However, the marriages of Mary (of Bagrow) and Catherine and subsequent census records for Catherine indicate the strong likelihood that they were sisters of the others. A Joseph Graves was a witness to the marriage of Mary but he has not been identified; he may have been a brother as well.

In 1790/91 and 1794/95, William Grave is listed in the Allhallows Parish records as a Churchwarden. See
www.cumberlandroots.co.uk for the transcripts of parish records for Allhallows, Aspatria and other parishes.

In 1787, 1789, 1791 and 1793, William is described as a mason of Bagraw. In 1795 he is a farmer of Bagraw.

On 13 Jan 1815 there is a burial registered of William Grave of Bagraw aged 59 years in the Allhallows Bishops' Transcript. This would make his birth c1756. There are several possible baptisms for a William Grave in Cumberland at this time.


On 31 Jan 1828 There is a burial registered of Sarah Grave of Blenerhasset aged 75 years in the Allhallows Bishops' Transcript. This would make her birth c1753. There is a likely baptism 24 Feb 1753 at Dean, Cumberland in the IGI, dau of Robert Head and Sarah Wood.

See Slater's Directory of 1855 for the geography of Aspatria and Allhallows.
.
***********************************************************************************************************************************
ALLHALLOWS CHURCH
Excerpts from an undated booklet obtained in 2009 from All Saints Church, the Parish of Allhallows, Mealsgate (the new church).
Links with Aspatria
The Parish of Allhallows was originally no more than a chapelry within the Parish of Aspatria, and known as the Chapelry of All Saints of Ukmanby. The old church, as it is now called, was then the only church and was served by the vicar of Aspatria or by a chaplain, and the parishioners of All Saints were expected to attend church at Aspatria one day in the year, namely the day of the dedication of the parish church of Aspatria. This was in the days of Henry VI in the 15th century.
The Parish Boundary
"The Parish or chapelry is bounded by Dowbeck from Mealsgate to the park wall at Whitehall below the church of Allhallows, so along that wall Southward to the highway leading to Cockermouth, then along that road to Cockbridge, then down Elne to Aspatria Mill, then by the North side of Elnebridge close to the foot of Brayton Demense from Baggray to the common, and along the skirts of the common by King Yeat, Ucmanby, and Leesrigg to Priest Croft, and from thence to Meal's Gate where the boundary began." Nicholson and Burn 1777.
The Old Church
All that is left of the old church after the demolition in 1935 of the nave, south aisle and porch, is the chancel and its attached mortuary chapel. There is a public footpath to the remains of the old church, opposite the present church, which comes out into a layby on the A595.
The old church was built in the 12th century, between 1154-1189 and only in the 19th century did it become a fully independent parish church.
***********************************************************************************************************************************

MAP OF THE PART OF CUMBERLAND MOSTLY REFERRED TO IN THIS FAMILY TREE



FROM WHOM FREDERICK SHADE IS DESCENDED.




IGI records





















1855 Slater's Directory (pdf)

    Children:  
  1. Mary GRAVE bap 1778 at Dean, Cumberland  
  2. Catherine GRAVE born c1781 at Allhallows, Cumberland  
  3. William GRAVE born c1785 at Baggrow/Blennerhasset, Cumberland  
  4. Sarah GRAVE bap 1787 at Allhallows, Cumberland  
  5. Thomas GRAVE bap 1789 at Allhallows, Cumberland  
  6. John GRAVE bap 1791 at Allhallows, Cumberland  
  7. Henry GRAVE bap 1793 at Allhallows, Cumberland  
  8. Robert GRAVE bap 1795 at Allhallows, Cumberland  

Last modified 17 Aug 2012