Descendants of Henry Sommerset and Susan Place of Sudbury, Suffolk
interesting surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is a regional
name from the county of Somerset, deriving from the
Olde English pre 7th Century "Sumer(tun)saete" meaning dwellers at the summer settlement. During the Middle Ages
when it was increasingly common for people to migrate from their birthplace to seek work further afield the custom developed
that they would adopt the placename as a means of identification. The surname dates back to the early 13th Century.
Early recordings include: William de Somersete (1273) in the Hundred Rolls of Shropshire, and John de Somersete (1331)
in the Calendar of Inquisitiones, Wiltshire.
Variations in the spelling of the surname include: Somersett, Sommersett, Summerset, and Summersett."
The direct line to Libby is:
(1) Henry Sommerset and Susan Place
(2) John Sommerset and Elizabeth Gin
(3) Thomas Sommerset and Elizabeth Dalton
(4) Dalton Sommerset and Hannah Mayhew
(5) Hannah Sommerset (Summersett) and James Southon (goes to SOUTHON tree))
(6) Mary Southon & James Serle (goes to SERLE tree)
(7) Walter Henry Serle & Kate Grocock
(8) Percival Serle & Dora Beatrice Hake
(9) Katharine Beatrice Serle & John Sampson Grierson (goes to GRIERSON tree).
Adding Thomas Dalton Somersett on page 5 added 6 Sep 2013
New website created 31 Aug 2013
Contact Libby Shade
for further details
P.O. Box 105, Rosanna 3084, Victoria, Australia
This family tree is
provided for mutual information within the family.
The information given will be referenced by official documents, family bibles etc.
Information that is uncertain or unreferenced will not be published.
For privacy of the present generations, the family tree will halt at the generation born around the start of the 20th century.
Discussion gladly entered into.