originating from the Normandy area of France.
Levesque family were Huguenots and several branches of the family
fled from France at the time of persecution.
The direct line to Fred Shade is
(1) Jean Levesque
(2) Jacques Levesque & Suzanne Havy
(3) Jacques Levesque & Suzanne Campart
(4) Jean Levesque & Madeleine Campart
(5) Janne Levesque & Isaac Poulain (goes to POULAIN tree)
(6) Jeanne (Jane) Poulain & Jean Pierre (John Peter) Cazaly (goes to CAZALY tree)
(7) Jaques (James) Cazaly & Elizabeth Eagles
(8) Catherine Walford (Kate) Cazaly & William Little (goes to LITTLE tree)
(9) Fanny Beatrice Little & Frederick Joseph Chapple (goes to CHAPPLE tree)
(10) Mary Beatrice Chapple & Albert Ernest Shade (goes to SHADE tree)
|This early and very interesting
surname, popular throughout Europe, is of Ancient Greek,
pre Christian, origins. It derives from the word
"episkopos", translating as the overseer, from
the elements "epi", meaning on or over, plus
"skopein", to look. The early Christians
adopted the word for the headman of their local
communities, and from the 4th century a.d. it was applied
to a religious leader. Derivatives of
"episkopos" include for example
"obispo", in Spanish, and "bischof"
in German, and "yepiskop" in Russian.. However
spelt, and there are over one hundred forms ranging from
Bisp, Evesque and Vesque, to Vesco, Bischop, Yepiskopov,
and Piscotti, the surname did not refer to a bishop as
such. It was either occupational, and described somebody
who served in the household of a bishop, or it was a
nickname for a person who played the part of a bishop in
the travelling theatres of the medieval period.
Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com
On generations 7 and 8, added the family of Rachel Cosson and Thomas Gable, added 1 Aug 2017
On generations 10/ 11 and 12, many additions in the Rondeau area suggested by Gael Olsen, added 11 May 2017
Contact Libby Shade
for further details
P.O. Box 105, Rosanna 3084, Victoria, Australia
This family tree is
provided for mutual information within the family.
The information given will be referenced by official documents, family bibles etc.
Information that is uncertain or unreferenced will not be published.
For privacy of the present generations, the family tree will halt at the generation born around the start of the 20th century.
Discussion gladly entered into.